Exposition permanenteMusée Maritime

Earliest settlement in New Caledonia

Temporary Exhibition from August 26 to October 8 2017

The word Lapita originally came from the name "Xapetaa", a site near Koné, on the West coast of New Caledonia. It primarily defined a ceramic tradition that appeared dramatically around 1350 BCE in the Bismarck Archipelago and featured complex geometric and anthromorphic dotted decorations on pottery of unusual shapes.

Around 1250 BCE, keepers of the Lapita tradition, at that point of mixed parentage with pre-Austronesian groups of the Bismarck Archipelago, left Northern Melanesia to reach the boundary of known lands, South of The Solomon Islands, close to Oceania.

Probably driven by a strong tradition of maritime explorations, they were the first to seek out unknown areas of the Southwest Pacific, after 200 miles of sailing eastwards, they discovered the Reef and Santa-Cruz Islands, first untapped lands of a great region, which would later be defined as Remote Oceania.

 

kakemono-Expo-LApita-Print

 

Temporary Exhibition from September 2nd till October 30th 2016

Extended!

This exhibition is the result of a shared work between the Escoffier Vocational High School and the Maritime Museum of New Caledonia. It invites you to walk around different locations of a 18th century ship from the hold up to the officers' table and to discover the living conditions on board. 

Smell, taste and share the officers' refined meals or the sailors' ration. Learn about the cooking, the health conditions and the food and water supplying on board. 

EN

Special Exhibition November 14th 2015 to March 13th 2016

Six years after France took possession of New Caledonia, the budding colony's maritime traffic was beginning to suffer from a lack of aids to navigation. In 1861, the Lights and Buoys Commission in Paris decided to commission the building of a lighthouse. This new beacon was to be built of cast-iron and set on Amédée Island, a small islet on the barrier reef, on the edge of Boulari Pass. The design was entrusted to Mr Léonce Reynaud, noted architect and engineer, and construction began in 1861 in Paris.

The structure was first assembled in Paris for testing, then (1864) dismantled and shipped to New Caledonia in pieces, onboard the Emile Pereire. The voyage took five months to reach Port-de-France (the earlier name of Noumea). The new lighthouse was erected on the site under the management of engineer Stanislas Bertin.

On November 15, 1865, Mrs Guillain, wife of Governor Guillain, ceremoniously lit the new lighthouse's lamp for the first time.

The exhibition can bee seen on the ground floor of the Musée Maritime

001

 

 

March 1st to March 31, 2015

This temporary exhibition was prepared by the French Navy with the help of the National Veterans Association (Office National des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre) and describes the evolution of the Navy Base over the last 60 years. 14 posters presenting a great variety of documents and photos will help you understand better this aspect of New Caledonia's maritime history.

The exhibition is set up in the main hall of the Museum.

affiche_expo_marine

Extended!

In 1968, divers from the French Navy discovered the wreck of the Seine, a French naval corvette which foundered near Pouebo on the East coast of New Caledonia in 1846.

The Museum has set up an exhibition designed to take the visitor step by step through the sequence of events which led to the presence of this French man-of-war off the coast of New Caledonia seven years before France officially took possession of the territory, and the top-secret mission that the French government had entrusted to François Leconte, her Captain.

001Seine 06Seine 07Seine 08Seine